Thursday, January 7, 2010

What is luck?

Luck is all about one word: CHANCE. And I am taking a chance this week! Truly having a issue with this weeks photo challange! But I think I have two idea's that I can do with Logan tonight! There are already SO many entries, but they are giving away a lens. So I'm gonna try my LUCK :) But luck is something I very rarely have! So no getting my hopes up!

I watched a great movie today called the Soloist. It's based on a true story of Nathaniel Ayers, a musician who develops schizophrenia and becomes homeless. Ayers began playing the cello during middle school. He attended the Juilliard School in New York on a scholarship as a cellist, but suffered a mental breakdown during his third year and was institutionalized. Ayers was one of the few black students at Juilliard at that time. Ayers began playing the cello during middle school. He attended the Juilliard School in New York on a scholarship as a cellist, but suffered a mental breakdown during his third year and was institutionalized. Ayers was one of the few black students at Juilliard at that time. For some years he lived with his mother in Cleveland, Ohio, where he received electroshock treatment for his illness to no avail. After his mother's death in 2000, he moved to Los Angeles, California, thinking that his father lived there. Homeless and schizophrenic, Ayers lived on the streets of Los Angeles and made a meager living playing half-broken instruments (such as the violin and cello) on street corners for change. Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez met Ayers at Pershing Square in 2005, and discovered his background at Juilliard. Lopez wrote several columns about his relationship with Ayers, and Nathaniel's slow transition out of homelessness. Lopez's subsequent book, The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music, was based on his relationship with Ayers. From there the movie was taken from the book. GREAT MOVIE! A foundation bearing his name was started in 2008 with an aim to support artistically gifted people with mental illness. If you ever get a chance to see it, do so!

Well I'm off to do clothes, get Bill up and to lay back down. Been feel blah all day. Nothing big, just allergies! But my head just hurts so bad!

0 comments: